Sunday 24 August 2008

A Tribute To Sporting Excellence


I wasn't exactly very keen about the Olympics every time, but well, somehow this time seems different? A sign of age and sense I guess. :P

Although the games that I managed to watch were far in between, every single match up was truly enjoyable, and it only exhibits the hard works of all the competitors.

You must know the saying, "台上三分钟,台下十年功" (or maybe something similar?). Those competitors must have invested countless hours to train and hone their abilities, and I truly respect them for that. It's hard not to notice, but the fact is really that a lot of them are younger than me! (I'm feeling old already. :P)

They all had dreams. Some fulfilled them, while others were shattered. Even though some dreams were broken, their spirit will never break and I know that they will come back again to compete. They will pour even more hard work, to excel into even better sportsmen, breaking their own limits, and be forever ready to prove their skills again.

That is the spirit that I really admire. Looking at myself, I know that I can never be a competent sportsman (obvious!). Some people are born with the talent, while a lot more are filled with their respective passion and hone their skills through training. I know perfectly I am neither of these two categories. :P

However, this spirit of theirs inspired me. Be the best in whatever you do. This spirit brought fresh fire to my life and I do want to be the best programmer out there. Probably still wayyyy too early on the world stage, loL~, but it's not impossible one k? :P

The other thing that touched me deeply was when I saw tears from the competitors. Nobody will ever understand the extent of sacrifice they must have given, but now they can stand tall and receive the glory they brought to their country. It is this kind of moment, that when you see your flag raised up amongst all other flags, does it bring the kind of glory that no other arena provides.

I would just want to take this opportunity to congratulate the Singapore women table tennis team for the awesome fight they put in to win the Olympic Silver for us. :)

Here's a salute to all sportsmen. You guys rock big time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss those times when we're in gym??? I simply miss them a lot. I support China gymnasts!!! They're excellent! Clean cut dismounts for both the males and females...it's a pity that there's a controversy abt the china girls being underaged to compete in olympics but they're really better than the rest! Or am i a bit biased? hahahazzz... let's go bck to gym one day!!!

Lionel Low said...

Actually don't really miss that much, since I'm more of the zho-bo kind. loL~ Like I said I'm not born with it la, that's why not much passion with it. :P

I dint see any gymnastics competition sadly, but I manage to catch them on the news. They look SERIOUSLY young! haha..

Aiyaa... not as if you don't know, that going back to gym is a bit impossible for me de. Timing wise like can't match since I have to rush for church in early afternoon.